Paint Shop Pro Photo XI--my impressions

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Paint Shop Pro Photo XI--my impressions

Post by plugsnpixels »

I just received and have played with PSP Photo XI, running it on a MacBook under Windows via Boot Camp. It ran great and processed images quickly. I was surprised to see it could load a new folder of plug-ins without needing to be relaunched.

I never tried PSP before, except for a quick look at a trial of an earlier version. I must say it's quite a good photo editing app for $100! I just posted a page on my website with screenshots and my results.

I took the GUI screenshots using a free screenshot app I downloaded. If anyone knows the Print Screen button on the MacBook while running Windows, please let me know! Using Windows under Parallels, I am able to use Mac commands (or even Snapz Pro).
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

It would be nice to hear everyone's impression of PSP XI.

Franklin
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

PSP - JASC vs Corel

Post by Franklin »

I've used PSP since before it had a number and didn't fill a floppy disc. I currently use PSP 8 & 9. I use it professionally for photo, graphical and animation work.

Whilst still JASC I always upgraded as each version included new and useful developments and features.

Since Corel took over I have seen little new to entice me to upgrade. What I have seen is Corel using existing elements promoted under more photo orientated names. For example, looking at XI, I see the "Depth of Field" appears to be a mere re-working of the what was previously the "Soft Focus" feature.

Does any one else agree that PSP upgrades no longer look to provide enhanced development and features for professional and serious users, but look to line the pockets of Corel?

Franklin

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I know a few people who are quite dissatisfied with PSP since Corel took over and have switched to Photoshop as a result. I agree that it was not the best step to sell PSP to Corel.
Last edited by HaraldHeim on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Franklin
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Franklin »

It's sad!

GizmoBird
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by GizmoBird »

I have v.9 (Jasc), Corel also did a version 9. I had no desire to upgrade to X and I am standing on the sidelines to hear more reviews about XI. Corel seems to have gone in the direction of photo enhancement forgetting all the other features that made PSP a well rounded, affordable graphics program. Even though the upgrades are affordable, having released 2 upgrades X & XI in such a short period of time seems to frustrate many users. Time will tell where Corel goes with PSP.
Proud Member PSPPlayground

Jackie B
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

PSP X-X1

Post by Jackie B »

I am in the middle of downloading the Upgrade to XI ( yes it is too soon)
I am an avid PSP fan...It was my first graphics program many years ago and I cannot seem to veer away from it even though I try....Photoshop is a frustration to me that I do & don't want to deal with particularly but I do fumble in that also, but even the loading up of A/P frustrates the heck out of me.
I agree the Corel take-over has somewhat made 'a difference' but not significantly except in as much it lost the 'homely graphics package' feel and became more of a money spinner for Corel.
In defence of PSP I have only hated the version 8..Yuck! I love X and I am a keen dabbler in Photography and I find the program fits my needs perfectly.
Apart from Cost.... I think that PSP is also a far more user friendly program for the novice out there than Photoshop...I speak to so many people daily that say that Photoshop frightens them...they feel overwhelmed with it.
I think it is worth remembering that it is not just Experts out there but the real Joe Bloggs who needs a comfort zone...I think that PSP still has that comfort zone with ease of use....and end result is excellent!

Thanks for reading
Jackie B

CassyCat
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Just got XI

Post by CassyCat »

I just downloaded the trial of XI and already I miss the earlier versions I bought. I guess you get used to something and it's hard to make a switch. This time I have no choice because I lost everything when my PC refused to work anymore.

My favorite version was 8.10, but only because that is the one that I started with and I learned it through and through. I was not a fan of 7, but the Jasc people were so nice and sent it to me free when I purchased some plugins from them. I had just dabbled in 9 with a trial before my last PC's motherboard fizzled from trying to make a Teacup Chihuahua work like a Great Dane..LOL I would love to be able to download 9 again and I wish I had not loaned my version 8.10 CD to someone who is very irresponsible. Now I have a Great Dane and I am going to work it. :D

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

CassyCat, if you still have that dead computer, maybe you can migrate its hard drive to a newer box and recover all your stuff. I did this today with an iMac G5 that has the bulging capacitor problem (I manage computer labs in higher ed). I swapped its hard drive into another similar iMac that happened to have a bad hard drive but capacitors that were OK, and off I went... Worked great!
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

CassyCat
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Great idea!

Post by CassyCat »

That is a great idea, Plugsnpixels. I went to Best Buy and they suggested the same thing and they have a cover that will fit my old drive. This weekend will be a perfect time to do it. I'll let you know if I succeed. :-)
Thanks!

ThunderPrincess
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Corel XI quit working

Post by ThunderPrincess »

I recently purchased Corel XI through the Corel site, received the CD, installed it and was just getting used to it. Now when I click on it to use it, it loads and then promptly disappears. I think I need to reinstall it. Just wondering if anyone knows why it would do this. I like it but PSP7 is still my fav.

D_Spider
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Re: PSP - JASC vs Corel

Post by D_Spider »

Franklin wrote:Does any one else agree that PSP upgrades no longer look to provide enhanced development and features for professional and serious users, but look to line the pockets of Corel?
I think that Corel's emphasizing the photo-related features of PSP has caused people to overlook the other aspects; they are there. But I agree about Corel. I sent an email to their support asking about the bug that shows pixels per centimeter for resolution even though "per inches" has been checked in Preferences. Their answer: "This was a known problem on [sic] PSPX, and it was fixed on [sic] the release of PSPX2." I've found their support about as bad as their use of prepositions.

CassyCat wrote:I would love to be able to download 9 again and I wish I had not loaned my version 8.10 CD to someone...
When I finally upgraded to v10 from v5, I got the program on Ebay for $21 incl shipping. You should at least search Ebay for v9. Good luck!
D_Spider

Kurt
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Kurt »

I have stayed with Jasc PSP 9 and won't upgrade to X or XI. Seems Corel is just another Symantec-type marketing company and really offers nothing that 9 can't do. For photo processing, the Neat Image plugin works wonders for photos and the only other photo processing complement I need for PSP 9 (Jasc) is Focal Blade.