What is the Plugin Commander Equivolent for mac osx

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
scooter
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

What is the Plugin Commander Equivolent for mac osx

Post by scooter »

I have just downloaded my first plugins off of the net for Photoshop CS2. After un-stuffing them, I placed them in my filters folder where all my plugins are located. Then I launched Photoshop. They didn't work. Then I read that I also need "Plugin Commander" to convert the plugins to a usable form. The only problem is, I am mac based and only found "Plugin Commander" for Windows... What do mac people do?

Also, I am looking for custom distort type filters like Kaleidoscope and Polar Coordinates. Does anyone recommend any good ones?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

What is the name of the plugin that did not work? Which company or author?

scooter
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

filter factory user plugins

Post by scooter »

I got them from:
http://www.brothersoft.com/graphics_des ... 64716.html

The read me's include the following:

...The filters in this Gallery have been compiled to be used with the PC version of Photoshop 3.0 or greater. The code to compile the filters is taken from the various postings to the Filter Factory Discussion Group mailing list.
...Some filter code is too long for use in the Mac version of Filter Factory. As a consequence, some filters may not work. Which ones? I honestly don't know, because it's a hit and miss condition. All I can say is take the ones that do work, and forget the ones that don't. Please enjoy them, and come back to visit my site when you can."

Steve Fisher - July 1996
wolf359@netins.net

I am finding none of them show up by simply unstuffing them, putting them in my plugins folder, and launching Photoshop CS2. I read somewhere I needed Plugin Commander.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

These Mac filters were created with Plugin Commander under Windows. They are basically FilterFactory plugins, which do not work under MacOS X.

To use them under MacOS X you need to get the Filter Foundry plugin from
http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/
and open them within the Filter Foundry plugin. However, since the plugins are in .bin format, I am not sure if Filter Foundry will open them. Please try it and let me know.

I plan to make Plugin Commander support FilterFoundry in order to make it create MacOS X plugins. Then it will be possible to use Plugin Commander under Windows to produce MacOS X plugins.

scooter
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Foundry

Post by scooter »

I installed Foundry and got only kaleidoscope to work. The others are dimmed. The one that works, works well. I would love to have more. Any suggestions?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

What do you mean with dimmed?

scooter
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by scooter »

In photoshop, I take the path of filters/telegraphics/filter foundry. It appears below the Digimarc submenu of the filters menu. Once in Filter foundry, I can load plugins from a folder on my drive. When I go into the folder containing the plugins from filter factory, most choices are dimmed and I cannot choose them. Kaleidoscope is usable and works. Mirror is selectable but causes no effect on my image. The others aren't happening.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You probably need to convert them from .bin format to the normal plugin format. You can do that by dragging them on the Stuffit Expander icon (http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/). After that the files should not be dimmed in the file dialog.