A LucisArt contender has arisen!

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

A LucisArt contender has arisen!

Post by plugsnpixels »

A lot of people are trying to reproduce the infamous LucisArt effects using convoluted actions, HDR tricks, manual dodging and burning, etc. But an inexpensive plug-in was just released that comes closer than anything I've seen so far: Adjust.

It not only gets pretty close to LucisArt's sought-after chiseled look, it also makes a decent go at its soft effects. Plus Adjust does noise-reduction, color effects, exposure adjustment and more.

There's a free 30-day trial.
Free digital imaging ezine (and discounted plug-ins!)
www.plugsandpixels.com

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

I've posted a 983k 100% cropped view of an image with different Adjust effects that mimic LusicArt (top to bottom: Original 6mp JPEG shot at the Venetian, Las Vegas; Topaz Adjust Detail; Topaz Adjust Simplify). I think this will give you a better idea than the reduced-size samples on my website.

It's not quite LucisArt, but almost!
www.plugsandpixels.com

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Last edited by plugsnpixels on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.plugsandpixels.com

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I do not understand how you can compare this new plugin to Lucis Art. It produces totally different effects.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Hi Harald,

Did you experiment with my downloadable files? While Adjust cannot reproduce *all* of the effects along LucisArt's wide range, it comes close to a couple (the exaggerated edge effects and smooth effects). At least to my eye ;-).
www.plugsandpixels.com

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Ok, maybe you can compare the smooth effects of both plugins, but Lucis smooth effect isn't the best anyway. The Topaz plugins seems to be aimed mostly at photo correction (although you seem to be able to abuse it for more extreme effects) while Lucis is meant for artistic effects.

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

Funny thing about the Topaz plug-ins, the most interesting results are unintended! For instance, Vivacity's Sharpen effects when pushed make beautiful painting-like art.

When first testing the new Adjust Detail preset, my immediate reaction was that it was trying to emulate LucisArt. I'll have to do some side-by-side result comparisons to better illustrate what I am seeing.
www.plugsandpixels.com

plugsnpixels
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by plugsnpixels »

The Mac version of Adjust just came out today. I played with it some more and it does indeed mimic the most popular LucisArt HDR effects.
www.plugsandpixels.com