RELIABLE plugin help please with VISTA - Tearing my hair out

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
capricorncaz
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

RELIABLE plugin help please with VISTA - Tearing my hair out

Post by capricorncaz »

I have Vista and PSP X2 I have been told that you need 5 dll files in a system folder msvcrt.dll, msvcrt10.dll, msvcrt20.dll, msvcrt40.dll and plugin.dll

I have Windows System folder AND a Windows System 32 folder. Don't know the difference !

In the 32 folder there are already msvcrt.dll msvcrt20.dll msvcrt40dll - So Am I right to think I only need msvcrt10.dll and plugin.dll putting somewhere. BUT WHERE ?

I have had conflicting advice from well meaning friends some say System and some say System 32. After having just rebuilt my system from the point at which I bought it after a Vista Update caused it not to start up - this has taken me 2 days! - I do not want to do anything wrong

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You only need msvcrt10.dll (and maybe plugin.dll). You need to place them in the Systems32 folder if you are using NT, 2000, XP or Vista. For Windows 95, 98 and ME it would be the Systems folder.

Please do not copy msvcrt.dll (that you downloaded from somewhere) into your system32 folder, because it could corrupt your Windows installation and force you to reinstall Windows!!!

See here for more details
http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/p ... kework.htm

Some websites offer plugin.dll for download, but we do not, because it is a copyrighted file and it would be illegal to offer it for download.

capricorncaz
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

RELIABLE Help with Vista Plug In

Post by capricorncaz »

Harry

Thank you SOO much - and thank you for the concise and prompt reply

I was beginning to doubt I'd ever get my machine back up. So many people give you unreliable information.

Thank you also - I have loaded FM Patcher and installed it and now MURA MEISTER Cloud works - I never could get it to before.

Just got to sort Funhouse EyeCandy and Toadies

Thank you once again. - Happy now

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I got the following related email:
Hello, Harold,

I have read through your site pages and many other web postings. My question concerns plug-ins that worked under XP but won\'t work in Vista without msvcrt10.dll.

In XP, putting the dll file into the Windows/System32 folder worked. In Vista, putting it into Windows/System does nothing, and putting it in Windows/System32 makes Vista itself crash. I tried that, and after several minutes, Vista repaired itself and had removed the dll file. Oddly, no one has mentioned that putting the dll file into System32 will make Vista itself crash, but it does.

Some pages suggest putting the dll file instead into the Photoshop CS folder. Do you know if that will work, or if it also will cause Vista to crash?

Is it a better idea to just try to run the various older filters through FMPatcher? Or should that be done in addition to putting the dll file into the Photoshop CS folder?

Has anyone compiled a list of older plug-ins that work in Vista with the FMPatcher? A few that I wonder about are Groan Zone, Greg\'s Factory Output, ABFilters2000 (one I\'ve used often in XP) I-Decay, Two Moon and Visual Manipulation, as well as some of the old Filter Factory sets. I\'ve downloaded several other filters shown at their sites as being updated for Vista, but for those, I cannot find any current information.

I\'ve subscribed to the Plug-in Newsletter for years and always find many useful ideas and links. I hope this Email is not a nuisance, but I cannot seem to find this information anywhere after hours of searching.

Many thanks,
M. T.

Actually I never tried copying msvcrt10.dll into the System32 folder of Vista, but as msvcrt10.dll is not a system file, I did not suspect any problems. So I am a bit surprised. What I did was to install Plugin Commander, which automatically installs msvcrt10.dll. Now I looked for msvcrt10.dll in the Vista folder and found it in the SysWOW64 sub folder and not in Systems32. It seems that Vista automatically redirected the installation of msvcrt10.dll into this folder.

I am using a 64bit version of Vista, so if you use 32bit Vista, you may not have a SysWOW64 folder. But in that case copying it into the Systems32 folder should work. So I suspect that you are using 64bit Vista. Please try copying msvcrt10.dll into the SysWOW64 sub folder. If you do not want to risk it, you can also copy it to the Photoshop folder. This should work, too. However, if you use Photoshop plugins with other applications than Photoshop (e.g. PSP or Irfanview), you will need to copy it into the folder of each application, but I suspect that it will not work for all applications.

FMPatcher only patches plugins created with FilterMeister. These plugins do not need msvcrt10.dll. msvcrt10.dll is needed by plugins created with FilterFactory. The plugins you mention are all FilterFactory plugins, so FMPatcher will not help you here. FilterFactory plugins always need msvcrt10.dll. The only way around it, is to get a registered copy of FilterMeister ($20) and to compile the FilterFactory plugins as FilterMeister plugins. Alternatively you can also use the freeware FilterFoundry for this purpose, but you will experience that some filters may produce a different result this way. So FilterMeister is the better solution.

I hope I could clear up some misunderstandings.

Joanne
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Joanne »

Since most of these posts are from 2008, I thought I'd ask for an update on which .dlls must be downloaded in order to download plugin filters, and should they be downloaded to System32? I read here that msvcrt10 can bring down the system. Is this true?

Joanne
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Joanne »

I think this forum answered my question. When I try to d/l plugin.dll I get back a message stating: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations panel."

Is it correct to:
Click start>all programs>default, then click on associate a file type or protocol with a program - this is the set association control panel and the extensions are in the box - click the extension you need, then click the change programs button and select the program you want to open it.

In my case, I should click dll?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Joanne wrote:Since most of these posts are from 2008, I thought I'd ask for an update on which .dlls must be downloaded in order to download plugin filters, and should they be downloaded to System32?
Nothing has changed and will not change in the coming years. If you are using 64bit Vista or future 64bit Windows edition, you need to copy 32bit DLL files like msvcrt10.dll into the SysWOW64 folder. Under 32bit Windows please copy it to the System32 folder.
Joanne wrote:I read here that msvcrt10 can bring down the system. Is this true?
No, msvcrt10.dll is not a system file, so it cannot bring down the system. Anyone who tells you something else has no idea what he is talking about.
Joanne wrote:I think this forum answered my question. When I try to d/l plugin.dll I get back a message stating: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations panel."
Please ignore this message. Sounds like Vista going paranoid again.

Joanne
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

downloading msvcrt10.dll & plugin.dll

Post by Joanne »

I have Vista, 32bit.

When I try to d/l msvcrt10.dll & plugin.dll I get a message stating, "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations panel."

I'm trying to d/l to system32 as advised. What can I do to enable the download? Thanks!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Better not download directly into the System32 folder but on your desktop. Then you can still copy the files into the System32 folder.

stitch
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by stitch »

hi, I am still confused, I'm using 64bit Vista, and I have copied the msvcrt10.dll on system, system32 and sysWOW64, but I still can't make namely the following plugins work..
1. Simple
2. Mura Meister
3. VM Distortion
and God know what else that will not work, the first and the 3rd plugins i were able to use them, and now I can't anymore....
also is there something to do that I have several copy of msvcrt.dll several folders? here is the screenshot of the file location
[img=http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6735/msvcrtdll.jpg]
or if link gives you little image, please copy paste this link to a new tabl of your browser = http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6735/msvcrtdll.jpg
thank you..

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

msvcrt10.dll needs to be in the SysWOW64 folder under 64bit Vista. I do not think that it makes any harm to have msvcrt10.dll in the System and System32 folders. They only lie around unused there.

MuraMeister needs to be patched with FMPatcher (http://www.filtermeister.com/fmpatcher/index.htm) to make it work under Vista.

stitch
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by stitch »

thank you for a prompt reply. I was able to make my vm distortion work, but sadly not the simple filter and mura meister, I have patched the mura but still not working, as for the simple filter, I used filter unlimited and import the simple filter only to find out that some of the plugin was not included on the importation of filter unlimited....
is there another way to fix this thing...
I haven't checked my other plugins if they are all working now...
thanks again.

stitch
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by stitch »

thank you my mura meister is now working so, my next problem is how to make my simple filter Quick tile work?
thanks for anyone who can help me.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Maggi
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Re: RELIABLE plugin help please with VISTA - Tearing my hair

Post by Maggi »

I have the same problem with my plugins. Does this apply to windows 7 (64bit) and CS5 as well ?

My preview action uses MuRa filtersD and now it can't find the plugin.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: RELIABLE plugin help please with VISTA - Tearing my hair

Post by HaraldHeim »

Yes, it applies to Vista as well as Windows 7.