CD/DVD Labels printing

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You can try to print on CD or DVD labels directly from Photoshop, but you have to make sure that the image is printed at the right place. I never tired it myself, so I don't know if Photoshop will let you do it more or less conveniently.

cyan
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

printing CDs

Post by cyan »

this is what I did.

Take the paper you print in, and scan it at 300 dpi per inch. Do not mess with this. Scan at 100%

Clean it up, and then really push the contrast as hi as needed so you get two colors. Black and White. If needed, after.. convert to a bit map, then convert back to RGB.

Use this to create a template of the page you want to print on. Set up guides to get get prefect circles. Then set up guides to create a bleed.

Delete or hide the current template and create a new template that is easier to use.

Make sure your document is exactly 8.5 in x 11 in. The exact size of the page you are printing on.

Test the page and adjust the template to the correct horizontal and vertitcal postions. This may take about 5 or 10 tests. Use normal paper.. save the good stuff. Hold the page to the light on the good CDR paper that you want to print to see if it is lined up properally.

After you get it working. Create wrok layers and template layers so that you can create a printing page easy. Save this and make sure to back up your work.

When you print, print it at 100%. Ingore the warning from Photoshop.

This process will work with any kind of paper on any printer.

(sorta old-fashioned, but it works). I use it quite often.

.. the other other suggestion is to create a file 5" x 5" at 300 dpi, save it both as a psd and a jpg when you are done. Use that image in any standard CD Label program. Dont use the image software for anything but maybe fonts if you want to add something on top of your image.

The second way is less work for this run, but the first process is great for people that do alot of work and want to do everything with one program. It gives you a lot more control. You can combine the two processes into one if you want. Create the image, then print with your template.

I hope I helped.

Enjoy.

cyan
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

thanks

Post by cyan »

funny that was posted a long time ago.

(let me try it again)

HOW TO CREATE A TEMPLATE OF ANY CD/DVD PAPER FOR ANY PRINTER USING PHOTOSHOP.
  • * SCAN a image of a blank CD/DVD paper you plan to print on.
    * Adjust the contrast very high so you end up with a black and white template from the scan. You will be able to see the die cut on the scan if you do this right. DO NOT FLATTEN IMAGE.
    * Make some test prints. Print at 100% (8.5x11) and ignore warnings.
    * Hold print up to light with the paper you just printed against the paper you just scanned. Works best if you put the test print under the original CD/DVD paper.
    * Adjust template to get a "close to perfect" match from SCAN print to original CD/DVD paper. Dont forget you will have a bleed anyways. So you can have a little room for error. Takes a little practice, but it is not that hard. (Select All, CNTL-A and use the move tool.)
    * Set up guides for artwork to make it easier next time. (including bleed)
    * Back up your work, put a name for the paper brand and printer in title of the file. Save as a PSD or Layered Tiff.
    * when you are ready to print final version ... turn off the template layer.

sorta getto, but it does work for ANY paper with ANY printer.

It really does not take that long if you have your computer set up with a scanner and printer already (and know how to use it) lol.

Nathan

ps... sorry for the typos.

boy this was an old post. 2+ years ago.

WonkyRuler
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by WonkyRuler »

Hi there,

There is a few ways of getting CD/DVD labels printed which i know about which may interest you.

You can buy CD labelling kits but i have heard of people having problems with the CD/DVD skipping when being played afterwards, whether it was just the way they were applying the labels or the kits themselves i do not know.

As for looking for a way of getting labels printed directly to disc, a friend of mine uses a lightscribe DVD writer, these may cost a bit of money and take a little more time to print but you wouldn't have the problems which many people have with CDs/DVDs skipping.

Hope i have been of some help, and good luck with everything! :)
| Label Printing | Printed Labels | - WonkyRuler