How can I remove jagged edges?

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
nottyn
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

How can I remove jagged edges?

Post by nottyn »

I use Photoshop 7 and having trouble with copying pictures to use in a document.
I copy a picture from the Internet, usually a small gif file, then I edit it in Photoshop. Then I use the image in a MS Word document, in this case I put it in a calendar.
The trouble I'm having is that the image I first copy is such a small file size and has such a small dpi or resolution that it looks so jagged edged at the end result. I don't even increase the image size and it still looks horrible.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can fix this?
I don't care what file size the image ends up to be because it is only used in a personal document, not a webpage.
Thanks for reading.
Nancy

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Better increase the image size in Photoshop. MS Word may not do such a good job. Anyway, the best solution is to use larger images from the start.

nottyn
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by nottyn »

Forget MS Word. The image is edited with Photoshop.
Often times if the image is copied from the web, I don't have a choice on what size the picture is. So my question is if I copy a little picture from the web, How can I smooth the jagged edges?
Nancy

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Try Anisotropic option of the Stylize > Diffuse filter in Photoshop or Redfield Perfectum from http://www.redfieldplugins.com/filterPerfectum.htm

nottyn
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by nottyn »

I followed the link and it looks like exactly what will do the job! I have not tried the diffuse yet, but plan on trying that next. Thank you very much.
You have ended a couple of weeks of frustration for me. :D
Nancy

aspect_ratio_16x9
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by aspect_ratio_16x9 »

go to the free plug ins section of Plug In Site, and scroll down to the Xero set. There is a filter in that set that is called Super Smooth, and should do roughly the same job for free.

nottyn
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by nottyn »

Thank you very much, aspect_ratio.
I am definitely going to get this!

:D
Nancy