plugin problems AGAIN

Comments and discussions about Adobe Photoshop
WinB
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

plugin problems AGAIN

Post by WinB »

I have CS6, and have both the 64 bit and the 32 bit version installed on a 64 bit Windows 7 Pro computer. I upgraded to a 64 bit computer so I could have more ram. I have a new motherboard and processor and video card.
On my previous 32 bit computer, I had no trouble at all with any third party plugins.
However on this new one, the plugins show up in the 32 bit version of PS but many of them cause the program to crash. I get a message saying that Photoshop has encountered a problem and I have to close PS down.
I have my third party plugins in a separate folder and have directed the path to that for the additional plugins in the preferences.
I thought maybe it was an installation problem, so I uninstalled, used the Adobe Clean Up tool then re-installed, but the problem still occurs.
I have the DEP turned off except for essential Windows programs.
Do you have any suggestions as to what to do now?
Hopefully
Win

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: plugin problems AGAIN

Post by HaraldHeim »

Which plugins crash?

WinB
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by WinB »

I haven't made a list of what is doing it, I just get so frustrated when it happens. I have just been trying random ones to see whether they work or not, some do and some don't.
I guess I can go through each third party plugin in the additional plugin folder and test it, I was hoping there would be a "one answer fits all".
I do know that I had to remove Almathera, Simple, Unplugged Effects, Unplugged Shapes, Xero and Video Rave from that folder because of a different error. Each time I opened CS6, I had been getting a message saying "some plugins failed to load" and it said to look in Help > System Info for more information. When I did this it gave a list of the .8bf files which didn't load, so I went through every plugin folder and found the relevant .8bf files. I had tried getting a fresh download of the plugins which were faulty and replace the old ones, but even after doing that, I still got that same message. So I decided to just remove those particular ones, and that error message stopped.
I just checked Filters Unlimited and I have Unplugged Effects in there and it works perfectly.
In the additional plugin folder I have 52 folders and 18 loose .8bf files.
It is going to take me a LONG time to check each plugin to see if it works and make a list.
Cheers
Win

patara
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by patara »

Most of the filters you mentioned can be imported into Filters Unlimited and then they work in PS 32 bit. Of the ones you mention, I have Simple [ except for qtile which isn't compatible] , Video Rave, Unplugged Effects, Unplugged Shapes in Filters Unlimited. If the filter size is 56 kb then it will most probably be able to be imported into it. I was able to import many of the old filters and get them to work that way.

Xero-Graphics has released new versions of many of their filters in 32 and 64 bit and they work. So have some of the other plugin developers so it is worth checking their websites.