Paint Shop Pro 9 suddenly not working in Windows 10

Comments and discussions about Paint Shop Pro from Corel and formerly JASC
JJBOWKS
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

ONLY THING THAT WORKED FOR ME TO FIX PAINT SHOP PRO NOT WORKING IN WINDOWS 10 CREATORS EDITION

Postby JJBOWKS » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:51 pm

This is the only thing that worked for me in getting Paint Shop Pro 4.12 to work on Windows 10 Creators Edition.
1. Clicked Windows key +R.
2. Typed in regedit, and opened it.
3. In RegEdit.exe I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JASC.
a. Navigate to it by clicking the ">" before "HKEY_CURRENT_USER."
b. Then under that, the ">" before "Software."
c. Then the ">" before "JASC."
4. All those entries have to go.
5. So double click on "JASC."
6. Go to the "Edit" menu item on top.
7. Select "Delete"
8. In the "Confirm Key Delete" message that says "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this key and all of its subkeys?" click on the "Yes" button.
9. Close RegEdit and reboot your machine.
Now open your Paint Shop Pro and voilà it works!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Paint Shop Pro 9 suddenly not working in Windows 10

Postby HaraldHeim » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:06 am

Best only delete the Paint Shop Pro 4 item under JASC, otherwise it may messup up other PSP versions.

mr.stem
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby mr.stem » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:43 pm

This thread and Karl's post in particular have finally enabled me to resuscitate PSP9 on my Surface Pro 3 after what I can see now is almost a year off since the display driver update in Jan 2017. In case this helps anyone else in the same situation, Microsoft no longer offers any driver other than the latest one, so I had to do this the hard way via the Intel support site. The version I found that worked for me is 10.18.15.4256 from 17 July 2015, though confusingly the package this comes in is called win64_154004.2. Make sure the one you download is compatible with your hardware!

You have to go to the properties for the display adaptor and then go Update Driver and then select the option to browse locally and then Have Disk, and make sure you go into the Graphics folder of the downloaded package. If the installation doesn't then offer you the specific hardware that you have (Intel HD Graphics 5000 in my case), then don't proceed (like I did, to my cost!); you have probably downloaded the wrong version. I read that Windows would quickly re-install the recommended driver next time you reboot, but you can inhibit this behaviour by turning off automatic updates for device drivers on the icon for your computer under Devices and Printers. I don't have time to write out all the steps precisely, but I hope these pointers are helpful.

Note: simply disabling the display driver (and reverting to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter) was also enough to make PSP9 work, but that wouldn't even support my secondary monitor!

KarlWagner wrote:Definitely the graphics driver!
I also could not get PSP9 to run after the Windows 10 Creators Update. I read that the graphics driver may be the problem.
To test this, I first simply deactivated the Intel graphics driver via the Device Manager. PSP9 ran as it should! ...

cat
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby cat » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Storme wrote:
Matara wrote:If you are interested I found a free software that is almost identical to paint shop pro. Just fire me an email and I will give you the link and info. Cheers :D

Hi,
Sorry, don''t know how to email you. When I click your name no email shows.

There is another program I know that has been getting very good ratings and in its 4th edition I think. I could not find its website, only downloads on other sites. Do you know if it suppports these plug ins etc.? Thank you

HI, Don't know how to get a hold of you.
Could you send me the link info please.
Thank you.

asdronin
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby asdronin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:23 am

Hi all,
I have same issue describbed here just it happened to me recently, I think somehow I avoided the Windows creators update for some time but then it finally caught me. Well I tried running PSP with some compatibility modes to previous OSs and nothing worked or running as Admin well everything I tried failed, then I tried uninstalling and it was impossible to uninstall, it hangs there, then tried installing, the same way it hangs when registering / unregistering modules, I went and deleted the keys under Jasc (I dont have other version installed now but I used to have 6.0 too in previous machine) and I cant go through install / uninstall procedure. I did install the default drivers for Nvidia card just in case it could work like worked for others, but as said it hangs there, maybe if I still have it installed any of these methods could have worked but you know I was a bit desperate as PSP 9 is the main program I use for work (I make small games). So have anyone gone over a situation like this? I mean a point where I cant install or uninstall fully, I guess after its installed I can go with the solutions you exposed above but I cant install it fully right now and apparently its never removed fully. Thanks beforehand for any clue about this, as said I really need this program and I dont want to change, I would rather install other OS with all the trouble it could make,

Edit: I forgot to add that I tried installing previous DirectX version as proposed in a link before in this thread but it failed to be installed, tried to get other from MS site and always seem to be getting same web installer, so if you can direct me to other version that could do the trick maybe, well as said I need to be able to fully remove and then install PSP because now its half uninstalled and never allows to reinstall, only modify repair etc but not install

Edit2: I found a certain place in win10 (security and updates I think was called) where its theoritically possible to revert update but I accepted to revert (obviously) and after a long procedure everything remains the same, however I cant seem to find that place again, maybe it only applies to one last update and not any previous update?

Edit3: I read somewhere else that installing the most up to date drivers for the Nvidia card could work but the installation fails always, also I discovered there is a Corel removal tool that let us fully uninstall the program and then retry installing it, I could start the install procedure but again it hangs in registering modules, just I comment this in case it helps someone find a true solution. Merry Christmas =)

Edit4: Finally fixed it, I read the solution to this in a microsoft community, a certain user found the solution to this by himself, I dont know if I can post links so I wont do that just in case, the fix is made by going to device manager and looking at the intel graphic drivers installed, then click on update and search for updates in the machine, I found in my machine a update from 2015 and selected to update this (the user suggested these same steps) after doing that and restarting the machine, I was able to install PSP9 and rn it, thank you anyway I know you were trying to find a fix to this, I cant assure this will fix everybodys issue but for me it was the fix, enjoy the holidays =)

HannaK
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Postby HannaK » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:54 pm

Happy New Year asdronin and all others!
I have the same problems you just described - have legal copy of psp9.01
but WIN10 doesn't allow me to uninstall nor reinstall.
Would you be kind to share the link where you found your solution - it is allowed.
I must work in one computer than forward it to the second what makes me crazy....
Thanks for your time
HannaK

HannaK
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Postby HannaK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 pm

OK I gave up! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
There is a new version of Paint Shop Pro named "Paint Shop Pro2018"
It works on Windows 10 and I have purchased it for 70pounds which is not so crucial but
you may use it one one machine only.
So I work on 3 computers: WinXP with PSP9.01
On WIN8 the same
On Win10 with the new one that I have to learn .
Good luck to all!
HannaK

susym
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby susym » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:12 pm

I've had Windows 10 for quite sometime now and this statement from Corel is utterly ridiculous.
If Windows 10 does not support PSP9, then why has it been working until now?
I believe that, the tech that answered the original question as to why PSP9 no longer works, juat started working for Microsoft and knows nothing about PSP.
Unfortunately your product version is no longer supported. Because the computing environment changes so quickly, it’s very difficult for us to maintain older versions of software as they do occasionally run into some issues when installed on new operating systems.

I believe that the tech that answered the original question as to why PSP9 no longer works had just started working for Microsoft and knows nothing about PSP.

I've had versions 7, 8, and 9 for 16 years and have never had a problem til now......til the last few Windows updates.
Why would it quit working on my pc but not on my laptop?

DuxxGirl95
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby DuxxGirl95 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Ugh! I was logged out and so my whole note was erased!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x

Basically, I came here looking for advice on how to get PSP 9 working again. From all of these notes it seems that's not possible. My opinion is that Microsoft is intentionally rendering these programs unusable to push us to use their *new* Paint program which is now 3-D. There's a reason they called it a "Creator's Update".

Anyway, are there any suggestions on a newer PSP program that would work? I've heard that PSP X and going forward was completely different than PSP 9 and older. I was told that it's almost like a new program. Is this true? I'm not sure I want to learn a whole new program. And what about my backgrounds, brushes and masks? Those are all compatible with PSP 9. Will those work in a newer version of PSP? I have literally 100's so I'd really rather not have to toss them all away. And if not PSP, is there another similar program out there? I've tried photoshop and I found it to be very complex and not at all like PSP.

Ideas welcome!

sgk
Plugin Newbie
Plugin Newbie

Postby sgk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:52 pm

Same problem here. I bit the bullet and downloaded the PSP 2018 trial after briefly considering to switch to Photoshop.
The 2018 version is so similar to PSP 9 that I very quickly found my way around and I will start using it - it's not that expensive.
Some interface changes make things more complex in my view, others easier. But overall the functions I need are still the same and use basically the same shortcuts.
I don't do really complex stuff, and most of the extra functions don't do much for me, but this will work well enough for me to not be too disappointed that WIndows 10 has stopped PSP 9 from working - it is almost an antique, anyway.
I definitely wouldn't go to the length of running VMware to run an older version of Windows to run PSP9 without checking out the 2018 version first.
I was able to set up interface much like in PSP 9 for me with little effort, the tools I need work the same, so I can live with that.

Daxter
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Daxter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:20 pm

How to get PSP working again....

open "Nvidia Control Panel"
(You can do this by typing it into cortana or right clicking on desktop)

psp1.png
psp1.png (78.19 KiB) Viewed 2285 times

Then...

psp2.png
psp2.png (51.72 KiB) Viewed 2285 times

Then...

psp3.png
psp3.png (76.93 KiB) Viewed 2285 times

Daxter
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Daxter » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 pm

How to install PSP9 if it hangs at module installing...

(This was posted earlier in the topic)

Open device manager
(Press Windows Key + R ...... type: devmgmt.msc)

Disable grphics card
psp4.png
psp4.png (138.94 KiB) Viewed 2285 times

Install PSP

rembember to re-enable after install

patara
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Postby patara » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:51 am

For the last year or so, it is usually the Intel Graghic Driver update that breaks PSP9. The newer Intel drivers do not support such an old program. If you have Intel graphics, then you would probably need to roll back to an old driver that worked with PSP9, but you may have issues with other programs or OS updates, so I don't know whether it is worth the effort.
At times PSP 2018 can be bought very cheaply, and works well. IMO, the best PSP version since PSPX.

Leslie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Leslie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:59 pm

My psp2018 has just started having issues.
When I try and use balls & bubbles it freezes the program.
Plus, when trying to add file locations it takes a full minute after clicking add to get to Documents.

Corel support so far hasn't had a solution.
I have never had a problem with having ver 7,X6,X8,X9 and 2018 installed all at the same time.

Jasc ver 7 still works fine. All the others have the same issues.I uninstalled all of them, used the psp zapper and then did a clean install. All to no avail.

I think one of the last windows updates did some kind of damage. Not that I use that effect very often, but I'm afraid other stuff is going to go wrong as well.

I sure hope Corel is working on a fix. Apparently a lot of people are having issues with Corel and Win10.

Leslie

Daxter
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Daxter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Leslie wrote:My psp2018 has just started having issues.
When I try and use balls & bubbles it freezes the program.
Plus, when trying to add file locations it takes a full minute after clicking add to get to Documents.

This could be caused by your antivirus program protecting against cryptolocker viruses.
Try Disabling your antivirus and testing psp2018 out.

If it does work, you may have a setting in your antivius to disable protecting against certain folders, which you can then make psp out of.

Leslie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Leslie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:54 pm

I'll give it a shot.
Thanks.
Below is the latest reply from Corel.
What do you think?

Thank you for contacting Corel Technical Support.

Could you try installing the program in a new user account in your computer?
Just make sure it is an admin account.

This procedure checks if it there are problems with your current user account.
If the program works in the newly created user account, it would mean that your original user account has programs that is causing conflicts with PaintShop Pro.

Windows 7 and 8.1 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/hel ... er-account
Windows 10 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... windows-10

Daxter
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Daxter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Leslie wrote:I'll give it a shot.
Thanks.
Below is the latest reply from Corel.
What do you think?

Thank you for contacting Corel Technical Support.

Could you try installing the program in a new user account in your computer?
Just make sure it is an admin account.

This procedure checks if it there are problems with your current user account.
If the program works in the newly created user account, it would mean that your original user account has programs that is causing conflicts with PaintShop Pro.

Windows 7 and 8.1 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/hel ... er-account
Windows 10 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... windows-10

Yes this could be caused by a corupted profile. There is instructions on the net to swap everything to the new profile if this is the case.

Leslie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Leslie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 pm

I'll go google.
Thanks so much.

Leslie
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Leslie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:28 pm

I created a new user account and all was fixed. I didn't try adding back the extra file locations, tho.

Is there a way to fix a corrupted user account?
I googled, but am scared to try, unless a system restore would work.Not that savvy.

I turned off my anti-virus (Emisoft) but that didn't help. Everything used to play nice together. I had 4 versions of psp installed, including psp7. Which still works fine.

Daxter
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Postby Daxter » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:49 pm

A system restore would work if you have a backup date far enough.

With the corrupted profile it could be a number of things that has caused this, although you said your psp was still working although taking a long time to find folders on you pc which make me think you may have disabled "superfetch"? (A lot of sites say to disable this to make your computer faster)

Return to “Paint Shop Pro”