Saving JPG with EXIF Information

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
RayCx
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by RayCx »

This may have been covered, but I cannot find it in the history.

I wish to edit my DSC JPEG files in Photosop, then save them whilst retaining the EXIF details. This is in order that my camera will accept them back again, so that I can tote them around.

The Photoshop 9 manual does not give any details, do I require a pug-in?

Any assistance welcome.

Ray

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Photoshop 6 and 7 let you open and save JPG files while retaining their EXIF data. So simply open your JPG files, edit them and save them again as JPGs.

The only problem is to choose the sufficient JPG compression ratio. Usually using the Maximum setting is best. But you can try saving them at different compression settings and see which setting produces the same file size as the original image.

RayCx
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by RayCx »

Thanks Harald,

First, it is Photoshop 7 of course.

I tried this and reloaded the results back into my camera but it would not read them. hence the query.

Looking at the file headers with a programming tool, I see that the original file started 'Exif MM ...' while the saved file starts 'JFIF..HH..UExcif MM'.

The EXIF information is still there in the file, but the camera software possibly reads the altered header info and rejects it.

I shall experiment some more, maybe with an alternate editing program.

Any other info always welcome.

Ray

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

You could try different options in Photoshop's Compression dialog e.g. Basline or Progressive etc. Maybe one of the option creates a file that is accepted by your camera.

Paint Shop Pro 8 also saves the EXIF data now. You could try it.

RayCx
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by RayCx »

Thanks again Harald,

I shall experiment some more.

Ray