Selection masking bug?

General discussions ColorWasher, FocalBlade, LightMachine, B/W Styler and ContrastMaster
null54
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Selection masking bug?

Post by null54 »

There seems to be a bug with the selection masking not applying with certain hosts, e.g. PSFilterPdn or Photobie.

The masking code that PSFilterPdn uses works for other plugins but the mask is not used by ColorWasher, LightMachine etc.

The mask works correctly in PhotoLine using ColorWasher 2.06 unlike 2.05, so it may be there is something I am overlooking. :-?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Selection masking bug?

Post by HaraldHeim »

Great to hear that Paint.NET is finally able to use Photoshop plugins. Will mention that in the next Plugin Newsletter issue. I will also add support for it to our plugin installer.

Are you developing the plugin host yourself or do you use an available component?

It would be great if PSFilterPdn would be automatically installed with Paint.NET. Also please make double clicking a plugin in the list run the plugin. That would be more convenient.

I see, the problem is that the selection is not shown in the preview of the plugins. Have you set the values for haveMask and maskRect in the filterParamBlock? They are used by our plugins to detect if a selection is present.

null54
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by null54 »

HaraldHeim wrote:Great to hear that Paint.NET is finally able to use Photoshop plugins. Will mention that in the next Plugin Newsletter issue. I will also add support for it to our plugin installer.

Are you developing the plugin host yourself or do you use an available component?

It would be great if PSFilterPdn would be automatically installed with Paint.NET. Also please make double clicking a plugin in the list run the plugin. That would be more convenient.

I see, the problem is that the selection is not shown in the preview of the plugins. Have you set the values for haveMask and maskRect in the filterParamBlock? They are used by our plugins to detect if a selection is present.
The installer would have to detect "PSfilterPdn.dll" in the "Effects" folder of Paint.NET, as for automatic installation this is unlikely to happen in my opinion (3rd party plugins are not so much bundled with Paint.NET as assimilated into it).

I developed the host myself, it is based off PSPI.

The double click functionality will be present in the next version.

The values for haveMask and autoMask have been set to one, the maskRect remains zeroed until it is used in AdvanceState.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The zeroed maskRect should explain the behaviour you are seeing with our plugins. Please consider already setting maskRect before AdvanceState is called.

Your plugin host seems to be much more compatible than PSPI. Good work!

null54
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by null54 »

HaraldHeim wrote:The zeroed maskRect should explain the behaviour you are seeing with our plugins. Please consider already setting maskRect before AdvanceState is called.

Your plugin host seems to be much more compatible than PSPI. Good work!
Setting the maskRect to equal the filterRect still does not cause the plugin to use the mask data, although other plugins (Ximagic's GrayDither for example) work regardless of weather the maskRect is set or not. :roll:

null54
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by null54 »

The double click functionality is present in the latest version of PSfilterPdn, additionally PiMI resources are now used as a fallback if no PiPL resources are found and bunch of other optimizations.

Unfortunately this bug still exists, and I have no idea what could be causing it. :(

Also PSFilterPdn does support 64-bit Photoshop plugins, and other than this bug all of your plugins work flawlessly. :D

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Your improvements sound good. Nice to see another plugin host support 64-bit plugins.

I noticed that the plugin category node needs to be clicked to expand and show the plugins of that category. This needs to be done each time you launch PSFilterPdn. It would be more convenient if PSFilterPdn would either expand all nodes and show all available plugin names immediately or remember which nodes were expanded the last time and recreate these settings.

Actually the selection not showing in the preview of our plugins is not a big deal. Most user will probably not even notice it.

null54
Plugin Master
Plugin Master

Post by null54 »

HaraldHeim wrote:Your improvements sound good. Nice to see another plugin host support 64-bit plugins.

I noticed that the plugin category node needs to be clicked to expand and show the plugins of that category. This needs to be done each time you launch PSFilterPdn. It would be more convenient if PSFilterPdn would either expand all nodes and show all available plugin names immediately or remember which nodes were expanded the last time and recreate these settings.

Actually the selection not showing in the preview of our plugins is not a big deal. Most user will probably not even notice it.
PSFilterPdn has supported 64-bit plugins since it's very first release.

The filter categories are now remembered between runs and another bug fixed.