Problem with W Elements XXL and PS Elements 11

Discussions about ElementsXXL, LayersXXL and ActionsXXL
pwtsnow
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Problem with W Elements XXL and PS Elements 11

Post by pwtsnow »

I have experienced an interesting problem with the current trial version of Elements XXL. It has caused my scanner to not recognize my computer and vise versa. This also applies to all scanner recognition period, as I could no longer scan into Photo Shop, Word or from the scanner to the computer.

My system should anyone be interested is Win 7 SSD 64 bit 8gig Ram NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 Video card
My Printer is an all in one Epson XP810 printer, scanner fax

I did a system roll back, downloaded some new drivers etc. Finally (as my trial version had expired) I uninstalled the Elements XXL plugin and once again my scanner was functional.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I have ordered via the postal service the full version of the XXL plugin and am hoping this was just an issue with the trial version.

Thank-you for all suggestions and advice.

Sincerely,

pwtsnow

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: Problem with W Elements XXL and PS Elements 11

Post by HaraldHeim »

I think it was just a coincidence that your scanner started working again when you uninstalled ElementsXXL. I had a number of similar coincidences reported to me over the years. In all cases it turned out that something else was causing it.

ElementsXXL only "messes" with Photoshop Elements and not with any system drivers. Even if you would use a scanning plugin in Photoshop Elements, I do not see how ElementsXXL could keep it from recognizing the scanner.

You mention that you were not able to scan into other applications than Photoshop Elements. ElementsXXL does not run as a plugin in these applications and is inactive at that time. So how should it block their scanning process?

I suggest that you install the full version of ElementsXXL and convince yourself that the scanner will still be working.

pwtsnow
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by pwtsnow »

Dear Mr. Harald Heim;
Thank-you for your speedy reply and I will indeed give the full version a try.

Sincerely,

pwtsnow

pwtsnow
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

An Addendum to Problem with W Elements XXL and PS Element

Post by pwtsnow »

This is an Addendum to my post concerning my issues with my scanner not working. For anyone else who may have quirky issues that you simply can't figure out and you're on a 64 bit box, try moving a copy of your Plugin Site Folder over in to your Program files (86) folder. This solved my issues and I hope it helps you with yours.

Wishing you all the Best,

pwtsnow

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Re: An Addendum to Problem with W Elements XXL and PS Elemen

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sounds like you changed the installation path to the Photoshop Elements Plug-Ins folder instead of keeping the default path for installing it into the Programs Files folder. And that you then moved it to the Programs Files folder where it was supposed to be installed in the first place. Correct?

This adds many files to the Photoshop Elements Plug-Ins folder that do not belong there, but that should still not block a scanner.

In any case I am glad to hear that your scanner issue is resolved.

pwtsnow
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by pwtsnow »

Sounds like you changed the installation path to the Photoshop Elements Plug-Ins folder instead of keeping the default path for installing it into the Programs Files folder. And that you then moved it to the Programs Files folder where it was supposed to be installed in the first place. Correct?
No I kept the default installation location.
This adds many files to the Photoshop Elements Plug-Ins folder that do not belong there, but that should still not block a scanner.
I didn't add it to the PSE Elements folder. I copied ThePluginSite folder and moved a copy of it into the C:\Program Files (86) Folder. Although I did think about putting it in the PSE plugin folder.

No I didn't change any installation path. I accepted the defaults at installation,I would have no reason to change my default installation path. C:\Program Files\ThePluginSite Leaving the folder in this location caused my issues with my scanner.

I copied The plugin site Folder and pasted this copy into C:\Program Flies (86) So there are now 2 ThePluginSite Folders. 1 in the default C:\Program Files location and one in the C:\Program Files (86)

I had no clue what to do to fix my issues but I was determined to stick with it in order to use your plugin. I did indeed wonder about moving my plugin folder into my PS Elements folder. I did some Googling on my issues and #1 couldn't find a similar problem, and #2 started looking at problems with 64 bit boxes.

This is when I found an article mentioning folders needing to be in both places ( regular C: Program files, and in the C:\ Program Files (86) ) I have several plug-ins installed in my PSE so I looked at where they were installed. They were installed in both locations. The C:\ Program Files and the C:\Program Files (86) .

I then Looked once again at your ThePluginSite Folder and it was indeed only in the C:\Program Files location. I decided to mimic my other plugins (referring back to the article I'd read researching my problem) and copied and pasted a copy of your ThePluginSite folder to the C:]Program Files (86) location.

This resolved my scanner issues and I can now use your plugin which helps me to do amazing things with my Photo- Manipulations. I love your Plugin and am considering getting more.

Thank-you for this forum so we can look for solutions to our problems, and learn a little more about what we can do with your plugins.

Sincerely,

pwtsnow

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

On 64-bit systems the Program Files folder is for 64-bit applications and the Program Files (x86) folder is for 32-bit applications. Basically it does not matter if you violate this guideline, because 32-bit programs also run from the Programs Files folder and 64-bit ones from the Program Files (x86) folder. In the case of plugins: They are usually not executed from their installation path, but are copied to the plugins folder of an application and executed there.

As ElementsXXL includes both 32-bit and 64-bit plugins, it always installs in the Program Files folder. But the Plugin Installer copies them to the plugins folders in both the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folder depending on the host application.

So your solution makes no sense to me. A scanner does not check files in both Program Files folders and decides to not function if it does not find the same files in both of them.

Please send the link to the mentioned articles. I would be surprised if they confirm that this fix solves problems. I still think your scanner driver is behaving erratic and works sometimes and sometimes not regardless of what you do with ElementsXXL. Time will tell.

pwtsnow
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by pwtsnow »

All I can tell you is this system (computer and printer combo) is approximately two years old. Everything worked fine until the install of the trial and full version of the Elements XXL Plugin.

At the install of the the above mentioned plugin my scanner stopped working until I uninstalled the plugin. After the uninstall things once again worked as they should.

Once again at the installation of the Elements XXL full plugin my scanner stopped working. After the investment of purchasing the plugin I began researching a solution to this problem.

I found this article http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windo ... s-folders/

And this paragraph:
The second folder labeled Program Files (x86) is the default location for all of your 32-bit applications. In a sense, it is a folder designed for legacy software that is left over from the days of 32-bit operating systems. The x86 portion of the folder name refers to the x86 32-bit architecture upon which the first 32-bit processors were developed such as the 386, 486, and Pentium CPUs.
That gave me the idea to move a copy of my ThePlugInSite folder to the Program Files (86) location. My other plugins being in this location as well gave validity to this idea. AS well as this paragraph:
To help make the transition easier, Microsoft has designated that all 32-bit application should, by default, be loaded into the Program Files (x86) folder rather than getting mixed in with true 64-bit applications in the regular Program Files folder.
I find your statement about my drivers a bit confusing
I still think your scanner driver is behaving erratic and works sometimes and sometimes not regardless of what you do with ElementsXXL. Time will tell
As you stated in an earlier quote
I had a number of similar coincidences reported to me over the years. In all cases it turned out that something else was causing it.

ElementsXXL only "messes" with Photoshop Elements and not with any system drivers. Even if you would use a scanning plugin in Photoshop Elements, I do not see how ElementsXXL could keep it from recognizing the scanner.
If I have had no previous problems with my drivers prior to the installation of this plugin and you have stated in the above quote that Elements XXL doesn't "mess with any system drivers" why would I be having any problems with my drivers period when something as simple as copying the folder and moving it into the Program Files (86) solves my problem and restores the operation of my scanner? I don't desire to debate this issue, as I too believe time will tell and if this simple solution resolves the issue of my scanner now working why debate the logic when the proof is in the scanning?

Thank-you for your reply and attention to this issue.

Sincerely,

pwtsnow

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sorry if I have been too blunt. I hope your solution will keep on working! No need to debate it further. Enjoy ElementsXXL!

pwtsnow
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by pwtsnow »

Dear Harald Heim,

Actually enjoyed our conversation and have the utmost respect for you, your knowledge and abilities Honestly consider you a genius and appreciate the breath and scope your plugins give to PSE.

Hope you didn't take my replies as argumentative.

Sincerely,

pwtsnow

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks for your kind words. Luckily I am not a genius. If you find some other problem with ElementsXXL, please let me know.