Issues with this product

Comments and discussions about Plugin Commander
HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

The email boxes @thepluginsite.de have been removed a few months ago. That's why your email bounced back. The latest version of Plugin Commander Pro was released in 2001 (as you can see on the Version History page), but there will be an update within one or two month.

The two panes in Plugin Commander resemble the "Norton Commander"-style, which is still used by a lot of file management tools. You can use one pane for the source folder and the second for the destination folder, e.g. when moving plugins.

The "Photoshop Mode" checkbox simulates how plugins were displayed on the Filter menu in Photoshop 5 and earlier. The next update will also include a feature to simulate the Filter menu in Photoshop 6 and later.

I don't think the browser is useless. The file names are also displayed in File View and you often need to work with the files and not just the filter name. Besided the main purpose of the browser is to give you a quick overview of the plugin effects.

Unlike Plugin Manager you can run Photoshop plugins in Plugin Commander Pro, see their effects in the preview window and browser, apply them to images and do many other things.

I will make the wheel mouse work in the next update.

Post by Guest »

First of all, let me say that your quick response is extremely encouraging and serves to make me SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable with the purchase (i.e, I can live with warts if I know they're being supported :-) See below for explicit comments

OK - please understand that it's very discouraging for a new user to use your your product, try to send a message and immediately get a bounce back - I assume you removed them due to spam issues - if so, then instead of removing the address referenced in Plugin Commander, you should have set up an autoresponder to let people know how to contact you. The bounce back message makes it appear as if the company has disappeared!
HaraldHeim wrote:The email boxes @thepluginsite.de have been removed a few months ago. That's why your email bounced back. The latest version of Plugin Commander Pro was released in 2001 (as you can see on the Version History page), but there will be an update within one or two month.
Yes, I realise what it was - I simply didn't see the point of it - it seems that all I would want to be doing is enabling or disabling the plugins (by changing the extension name) so who cares about moving them around. The problem is that your interface doesn't really emulate well dual-pane dialogs such as used by Norton Commander so it just ends up being awkard. Frankly, I would suggest that youjust support the WinAPI drag/drop functionality so that they can be dragged in or out of an Explorer window - much easier that way.
HaraldHeim wrote: The two panes in Plugin Commander resemble the "Norton Commander"-style, which is still used by a lot of file management tools. You can use one pane for the source folder and the second for the destination folder, e.g. when moving plugins.
Hmmm, this was part of the reason I wondered how old the thing was - I'm currently using Photoshop CS2, it's a LONG way from Photoshop 5. More relevantly, that's not a checkbox that one would use often, you presumably set it to match whatever version of Photoshop you are running and forget about it - it shouldn't be on the main window - it should be in a preferences dialog.
HaraldHeim wrote:The "Photoshop Mode" checkbox simulates how plugins were displayed on the Filter menu in Photoshop 5 and earlier. The next update will also include a feature to simulate the Filter menu in Photoshop 6 and later.
WHY would I EVER want to work with the files directly? Unless I'm doing development, I'm essentially just MANAGING the filters - therefore if I want to see them named usefully, i.e, the way I would see them in Photoshop (say)
HaraldHeim wrote:I don't think the browser is useless. The file names are also displayed in File View and you often need to work with the files and not just the filter name.
Yes, I understand that's the purpose but it's not helpful - supposed I see an effect in which I'm interested in using - how am I supposed to find the associated filter in Photoshop so that I can now use it? Photoshop lists the filters using their meaningful names.
HaraldHeim wrote:Besided the main purpose of the browser is to give you a quick overview of the plugin effects.

Again, understood - but I don't see how this will work in practice for anything other than trivial images - it's extremely rare that one has standalone images to which one just applies a few filters and then you're done. Typically, I would open a camera raw image, configure exposure, etc, then invoke Photoshop so I can adjust levels, do some cropping, layering etc and apply filters to selected areas. In other words, filters are just a small piece of the overall process - but Plugin Commander is trying to be the "master" and I don't see how it has the ability to do that.
HaraldHeim wrote:Unlike Plugin Manager you can run Photoshop plugins in Plugin Commander Pro, see their effects in the preview window and browser, apply them to images and do many other things.

ok
HaraldHeim wrote:I will make the wheel mouse work in the next update.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

... instead of removing the address referenced in Plugin Commander, you should have set up an autoresponder to let people know how to contact you. The bounce back message makes it appear as if the company has disappeared!
Sorry, but that isn't possible with our web hosting provider...

... I would suggest that youjust support the WinAPI drag/drop functionality so that they can be dragged in or out of an Explorer window - much easier that way.
I'm not completely sure what you mean...

WHY would I EVER want to work with the files directly? Unless I'm doing development, I'm essentially just MANAGING the filters - therefore if I want to see them named usefully, i.e, the way I would see them in Photoshop (say)
I will see if I can add such a feature.

Again, understood - but I don't see how this will work in practice for anything other than trivial images - it's extremely rare that one has standalone images to which one just applies a few filters and then you're done.
Applying plugins to images is not the main purpose of Plugim Commander Pro. It is just a bonus feature. Previewing the plugins by running them (without having to install them in Photoshop) or displaying thumbnails of their effects is a main feature.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Concerning Andrew's Filters: They are quite experimental, so they don't appeal to all people.

A few years ago I offered a FFL file with a selection of the 200 best effects from the 1000 AndrewsFilters. Please let me know if you want it. It certainly saves you a lot of work, because you don't have to go through all 1000 filters.

jjmead

PiCo

Post by jjmead »

I have had PiCo for several years, and use it all the time. And I use it for all the items you mentioned as useless. Plus I work with the files themselves far mor than the Filter names
------------
adder