Interpolate among discontinuous selections

Comments and discussions about 8bf plugins which can be use in various applications like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro or Photo-Paint
madde001

Interpolate among discontinuous selections

Post by madde001 »

Can anybody suggest a good method and/or plugin for the following situation: You've got a bunch (maybe dozens) of discontinuous selections scattered around on a layer. You want to create a continuous fill that blends color/intensity among all the selections, filling up the layer.

You could view this as a very complex custom gradient problem; or as an extreme blur problem; or as some kind of color diffusion problem; or in a variety of other ways.

My particular application is prosaic: I have some images that have very irregularly illuminated background. I want to select patches from various areas in the image that I know represent the background color/luminance, then interopolate the intervening areas with guesstimates of the color/luminance to create an approximation of the background.

I can imagine "artistic" uses as well, though. Say I want to simulate the effect of dropping many different colored ink droplets onto various locations in a pan of water and letting them diffuse so as to create a complicated gradient.

I've tried a couple of things: (1) using "Gaussian blur" with an extremely high radius--this works to some degree, but creates Moire patterns, and also the bigger and more intense patches of color tend to "push away" the smaller patches, so the geometry isn't well preserved; :-? (2) using Median -- this mixes the patches, but doesn't fill out to the edges; unless the patches are large compared to distance between them, you end up with smaller and smaller patches. :cry:

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Sounds like a very complex problem. In such a case it is best if you illustrate it with one or more image examples.

I currently work on a plugin that may be of use in such a case, but it will not be availabe before the end of December. If you send me the image you are trying to fix I can send back my correction to give you an impression.

madde001
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by madde001 »

Harald -- I sent you a couple of examples by email.
John