Other color correctors

ColorWasher specific discussions
JayPG

Other color correctors

Post by JayPG »

I own quite a few color correctors and wish you had named the ones that you tested against. I wish your preview could save an image, even if it had your logo superimposed on it, so that I could compare previous corrections that I've made using the other tools to yours.
As a side note, I really think you should consider a stand alone version. I often run my photos though a stand alone first then bring them into photoshop for further work. Just make sure the stand alone has the capability to add a prefix or suffix to the file name so that the original doesn't get written over.
Meanwhile I'm still sitting on the fence, since I do have these other tools already and am asking myself can I afford to dish out more money for a differant one?

Thanks,
Jay

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Jay, just drop me an email privately and I'll let you know about the other tools I tested against. I don't want to publish the list officially.

I'm already thinking about creating a standalone application that uses the Colorwasher plugin for correcting individual and multiple images in a batch.

For comparing ColorWasher with other tools you can make a screen shot of ColorWasher and compare it with the other tools. Or you simply correct the same photos with other tools, save the images and display them with an image viewer beside the ColorWasher dialog.

Colin Banfield
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Colin Banfield »

I'm particularly interested to know how Color Washer compares with AutoEye (discounting the obvious price difference).

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If I tell you that I think that AutoEye is the worst tool for color correcting your photos, that should say enough :-). AutoEye cuts off details and lowers contrast when using it for color correcting photos. I tested 12 other tools and noone of the others caused the same problems.

Have a look at the following URL for a comparison:
http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?nam ... e&artid=45

Post by Guest »

Wow! The reviewer here http://www.designer-info.com/ must have been on drugs when he reviewed AutoEye 2. Of course, because reviewers don't say what other plugins they use as a comparison, certain claims made about a product are useless to the reader.

Colin Banfield
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by Colin Banfield »

HaraldHeim wrote: Have a look at the following URL for a comparison:
http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?nam ... e&artid=45
Very interesting article. Do your comments concerning the color correction tools in Paint Shop Pro refer to both v7 and v8 or are there some improvements in v8?

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Anonymous wrote:Wow! The reviewer here http://www.designer-info.com/ must have been on drugs when he reviewed AutoEye 2. Of course, because reviewers don't say what other plugins they use as a comparison, certain claims made about a product are useless to the reader.
At least this guy says that he liked the result of Version 1.0 of AutoEye better and that the new interface is a backward step :-). You could be right about the drugs, as he says that he doesn't like fine tuning options and wants everything automatically done :-). He needs a lot of SPEED...

I guess AutoEye 2 performs fine in several cases as far as brightness and contrast are concerned, but it is a color correction nightmare and also generally tends to overdo the sharpening.
Last edited by HaraldHeim on Mon May 26, 2003 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Colin Banfield wrote:[Very interesting article. Do your comments concerning the color correction tools in Paint Shop Pro refer to both v7 and v8 or are there some improvements in v8?
The Auto Color Balance tool in Paint Shop Pro hasn't changed in Version 8. From the 13 tools that I compared I would rank it as Nr. 3 after iCorrect EditLab and ColorWasher.

However, as I noted, in a few cases it can introduce some artifacts. I also noticed in the meantime that a 100% Strength setting is too strong in some cases. So this tools isn't that "Auto" as the name might suggest. Nevertheless it is much better many other tools.

I also did some precise measurement in the meantime and found that Intellihance isn't so bad in terms of color correction as I first thought. But it is still in the lower middle field. Additionally Photoshop's Auto Colors, TestStrip and PhotoImpact's Color Balance are worse than I first estimated.

I'm currently writing an article about color correction plugins for the new "Digital Photography Techniques" paper magazine. I'll be using these measured values in that article.