Plugin Galaxy for Mac 0SX (10.5) - Problems installing

Comments and discussions about Plugin Galaxy
lahdeedahlu
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Plugin Galaxy for Mac 0SX (10.5) - Problems installing

Post by lahdeedahlu »

I followed all the installation instructions after purchasing the plugin, but when I open Photoshop CS3, it tells me that it couldn't activate/install some plugins. When I look at the filters menu, the plugin galaxy filters aren't there.

The plugins are in the photoshop plugin folder, all seems fine there.

I'm wondering if it's incompatible with my operating system. I'm waiting for the CD in the mail and I'm hoping it will work, because the download isn't!

Any advice? What am I missing here?

I've sent an email to Harry... just waiting for a reply. I thought maybe someone here could help.

:)

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

I assume you have an Intel processor. You need to run Photoshop in Rosetta mode to make Plugin Galaxy work. To do that select the Photoshop icon, choose File > Get Info and on the Info dialog activate the Rosetta check box.

lahdeedahlu
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by lahdeedahlu »

Great! Thank you. It worked, but then another extra plugin I've installed doesn't work, so I have to close Photoshop and then open it without Rosetta to use it. Any chance of this plugin working without Rosetta in the future?

The Colorize filter is different from the windows version I've used in the past... and that's the reason I bought it. :( When I make the adjustments and see the preview of the filter, and then apply the filter, the end result is different from what I see in the preview. I only seem to be barely getting the result I need from random luck.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Yes, an Intel version is planned. Which of the Coolorize effects do you mean? All of them?

lahdeedahlu
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by lahdeedahlu »

Looking forward to the Intel version :)

I was using the Twilight-Coolorize filter. I absolutely love this filter on PC. It is great for portraits if the subject is centered in the photo. It's like colored vignetting and bring out colors and deepens them. I usually apply the filter darker than I want it, and then fade it out with the fade option in the Edit menu in PS.

This version for MacOSX doesn't seem to achieve dark tones. Even when I put the brightness down, it comes out very very bright with nearly no colored vignetting. Like I said, the preview doesn't match up with what the filter does when applied.

I'm going to go through more photographs of mine today and see if I can get the results I was getting on my PC.

If you're interested, I can post examples of photos that I've applied the filter on (on the PC version).

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Are you using Plugin Galaxy 2 for Windows? The Coolorize > Twilight filter was enhanced in Plugin Galaxy 2 for Windows. I will check out the Mac version and see if there is a bug.

Yes, please post some examples.

lahdeedahlu
Plugin Novice
Plugin Novice

Post by lahdeedahlu »

I don't know where to check the version of the plugin. When I look in Help>About Plugin>Coolorize it says:

Copyright (c) 1999-2002 by Harald Heim

Would that be the first version?

I've been trying the filter on my Mac, but it's still coming out to bright. The closest I get to the richer and darker tones is by fading it out (in Edit>fade Coolorize) in "Multiply" mode. I've tried all settings, and not looking at the preview to see if maybe it's the preview that is not right, but it comes out bright no matter what.

Here are some photos where I've applied the PC version of Coolorize:

I applied it on this one and faded it out. The background was much brighter, so I used the filter to darken it, while also enhancing the colors, especially of the painting frame in the background. It came out great:

The vignetting in this one is from the coolorize filter too, and it made the limes brighter in the center:

Dark blue vignetting from the filter in this one:

Green vignetting from coolorize, faded out to about 30%

Blue vignetting to enhance the sky:

The coolorize filter is really apparent in this one because I hardly faded it out:

It's so subtle in this one but it really made a difference from the original shot. I deepened the colors considerably:

I love what it did with this one. It deepened the colors of the wood, while lightening the center, which is exactly what I wanted:

It's quite apparent in this one. It was perfect because the photo is square, and it went perfectly with the round mirror ball:

The coolorize filter really made this photograph so so so much better than the original. The colors where enhanced, I love the vignetting.

It would take me way to long to find the originals of the photographs above, but trust me, the coolorize filter really enhanced them. It's very subtle in some of them because I generally fade it out with the Edit>Fade Filter option after applying the filter.

If this page becomes too loaded because of the photos, let me know, because I could change them to smaller sizes.

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

Thanks for the great examples! You are using Version 1.5 according to the copyright date.

Have a look at Plugin Galaxy 2 for Windows at
http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/plugingalaxy/win/

You can now place the center of the Coolorize > Twilight effect and also fade it with the blend slider, so you can spare yourself the additional Fade step in Photoshop. There is also a resizable dialog so you have a much larger preview.

I guess the Mac version has a bug. It will be fixed in a future update.