Sharpening Different Sizes of the Same Image

FocalBlade specific discussions
chicagonature
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Sharpening Different Sizes of the Same Image

Post by chicagonature »

Hi,

When creating a master print, I make a separate sharpening layer so that the process remains nondestructive. I often mask this sharpening layer in Photoshop. I only sharpen this sharpening layer to see the effect, then create the mask. I then simply save the mask and discard the sharpening layer itself. The goal is to see how sharpening affects the image and if masking will be needed. It also gives me an idea of FocalBlades sharpening parameters. I also save a Preset for this Master file.

I use this Master file to create smaller (and sometimes larger) versions that are sized to the print size desired. So, I will downsize the Master file to, say, 8x10 for proofing. Then, I'll create another print at 13x18" or something like that.

Note, that for every print size, I create a new sharpening layer and sharpen that layer for that print size. I, however, continue to use the original masking.

Now, my question is, is it possible to use the saved FB Preset File for the Master and somehow have it sample down the values to the smaller (or larger) size images? Basically, I'm trying to sharpen in the same manner as the Master file so that the mask will also have the same effect.

Can you suggest a solution? I hope I've made my point clear.

Thanks,
Mike

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

If I understand you correctly, you want to know how to change the sharpening parameters in FocalBlade to get the same sharpness for different sizes of the same image. Right?

If you output the different image sizes at the same dpi value, you won't need to change the Radius sliders in FocalBlade. But you may need to adjust the Sharpen sliders. For larger image versions you will need to increase the Sharpen values to compensate for the higher smoothness. For smaller version you will need to slightly lower the Sharpen values.

I guess it is best if you visually compare the sized version to the original size to get a similar sharpeness. After a few comparisons you should be able to tell which adjustments you need to do in FocalBlade for which size.

chicagonature
Plugin Power User
Plugin Power User

Post by chicagonature »

Hi Harald,

I thought that the pixel radius would also change with the size of the print because the number of pixels that represent the same "visual area" varies with size. So, if the edge of the birds bill is 2 pixels on a small print, it might be 5 pixels on a large one, right? So the radius for edge sharpening will be affected, right? This would seem to effect the edges, but maybe not the surface as much.

Anyway, what are your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike

PS: Need to have a way to open a preset and have it go to the last folder used. Because, it's always opening up in the original FB folder, which is really an inconvenience because I save my sharpening preset files in a "FILTERS" subdirectory under the name of the print. Just put this on your list for when you update the software. Thanks!

HaraldHeim
Plugin Guru
Plugin Guru

Post by HaraldHeim »

chicagonature wrote:I thought that the pixel radius would also change with the size of the print because the number of pixels that represent the same "visual area" varies with size. So, if the edge of the birds bill is 2 pixels on a small print, it might be 5 pixels on a large one, right?
Yes, if you want to have the same details sharp in the sized down image, you need to decrease the radius with the same factor that was used to size down the image. But, I think, if you do that the general sharpness impression of the image will change.

Please try it with and without decreasing the radius and let me know!

PS: Need to have a way to open a preset and have it go to the last folder used. Because, it's always opening up in the original FB folder, which is really an inconvenience because I save my sharpening preset files in a "FILTERS" subdirectory under the name of the print. Just put this on your list for when you update the software. Thanks!
Thanks for letting me know. I will put it on the bug fix list...